Tuesday, November 15, 2011

"Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house." -- Henry Ward Beecher

     James Gleick's article perfectly expresses the way I feel about digitization. I'm all for easy access to information, but I do have some personal quirks that stop me from fully supporting the move digital books/articles/etc.

     Gleick explains the position of those who oppose the digital movement, and I have to say that it is a position that I agree with. A big part of history is exploration and discovery. With everything available at your fingertips from the comfort of your own home, the need to go out into the world is lessened. Who needs to go to the Bibliotheca Alexandrina in Egypt to see a genuine manuscript of the Qur'an on display when you can simple search for the information on the internet? Sure you'll find the information, but the experience is not the same. For instance, when Professor Bowden brought her books to show to class, I was very excited. To know that I was being given the chance to handle something from so far back into the past was amazing. Not many people get the chance to do that, when you think about it.

     On the other hand, I do think that for academic purposes, it is a good idea for the British Library to digitize is books and such. As a student, I know how frustrating it can be to not have access to certain books and articles that may help me with my work.

     As with most thing, there are both benefits and drawbacks to our increasingly digital age. As long as a balance can be struck between the two extremes in the situation, everything will work out fine.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you on this one. There has to be an agreement reached with the advancement of technology and the traditional ways of acquiring knowledge. I too love the new discoveries of books and paintings, but I know how frustrating it is to need a certain piece of information and not being able to find it. The digitization of information can only lead to an increase in both traditional knowledge and technological knowledge in order to access the information given.

    ReplyDelete